I got this recipe from The Vegan 8. It is very rich, almost a meal by itself. A chocolate pudding without the guilt.
- 1 1/2 cups packed cooked mashed orange sweet potatoes (I used 2 smaller ones to get enough)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (cashew, soy or “lite” coconut will all work, creamy is best)
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon strong cinnamon
- 1/16th-1/8 teaspoon cayenne (use to taste or omit if you don’t want spicy, a little goes a long way)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Bake your sweet potatoes on parchment paper on a pan, not directly on the oven rack, at 400 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour. Depending on the size, the time will vary. You want them squishy soft. I recommend baking these over microwaving because they will have a sweeter flavor and more moisture this way.
- Let your sweet potatoes cool and peel the skins. Mash completely with a fork and then measure 1 1/2 cups packed and leveled off. Add to a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process for a couple of minutes until completely smooth. Scrape down the sides well and process once more. Taste and adjust if needed. I found this to be perfectly chocolatey and smooth and just the right sweetness so that the chocolate flavor comes through.
- Chill in a container for a couple of hours or more before eating. You could eat it immediately if you like, but it firms up a bit more and tastes better cold, like regular pudding does.